Thursday, December 12, 2013

Balancing Between Plot And Character (Part 2 of Plot & Character)

Sorry its taken me awhile to write this.
So, in one of the previous posts I said most writers are either character-first novelists or plot-first novelists.
How does one balance between the two? A good novel needs great characters and an awesome plot.
(Now, just to let you know, most of the things I'll be writing I learned from Jeff Gerke in his book "Plot Versus Character")

I'm going to give a brief description of what we need to go through for this:
We first start out with working on characters, easy ground for all of those who are character-first-novelists.
We'll give our characters description, what they look like, what they like, what they are afraid of, etc.

Then, we'll give our characters a journey. (Not the plot for the story, though)
This journey is going to change your character, but not physically.

To explain more, I'll just say that we will give our character a "knot". It's something that makes the character "bad".
It could be selfishness, greed, hatred, fear, anything you like.
I'll explain the rest of this journey later on.

Then we'll use the Three Act Structure for the plot, for all you plot-first.
Now, I'm just giving this advice, but no one needs to take it just because I typed here. This is just what Jeff Gerke says, and this is my personal writing process.

But, if you want, you can follow along and see how Jeff Gerke says to balance between plot and character.

1 comment:

  1. I tagged you over at my blog! :D

    http://opalswirls.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/tag-you-know-youre-writer-when.html#more

    ReplyDelete